Saturday, February 5, 2011

Snow Capped Doodle

Every once in a while I have to give a shout out to, what we think is, the world's greatest dog. Hank is getting to be an old man, he will be seven this year and for a big dog that's still just middle age, but we've noticed that he has started to slow down. He's not as mischievous as he was when he was a pup, he spends more of his day sleeping and he gets worn out after less playtime than before. While Hank may limp around like an old man he hasn't developed any of the grumpiness that often comes with old age.
Hank still eagerly greets Bryan at the door after work, he still charges his gate to bark at the neighbor dogs and he still gets excited when we take him to doggie daycare or on a walk. He also is still capable of fooling even the most seasoned solicitor. Knock on our door and you will be greeted by 100lbs of fur and teeth. Despite this 'viciousness' Hank is gentle with Lilly and likes to lick Jack on the head while he plays on the floor.
Hank is, and will always be, my best buddy. He gets up with me in the middle of the night while I feed Jack, he still lays under my feet in the evening after the kids are in bed while Bryan and I watch TV. And on those days when Jack won't take a nap and Lilly is whiny and Bryan works late I look over at Hank and know that he is thinking the same thing I am: Remember when it was just you and me?
Snow capped Doodle laying in the sunroom waiting to thaw before coming in the house. Hank loves the winter. The colder and snowier the better.
Hank is also the only 'person' in the house that helps me clean up after lunch and dinner. Anything Lilly drops on the floor is fair game...even if it is just some peas.
Playing tug of war. He gives her a good fight, but Hank usually lets Lilly win. Then they chase each other around the house with Lilly throwing the toy, Hank picking it up and Lilly taking it again.
"If you aren't going to make sure the baby doesn't fall off the couch, I guess I will"

1 comment:

  1. I love the doodle too! He's such a good boy!!!

    ReplyDelete