Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Snopocalypse 2011

Two weekends ago we were visiting Bryan's parents in Kentucky when we heard about the winter storm that was headed straight for Indy. We hurried home to try and beat the two inches of ice and foot of snow that was threatening to close the roads and knock the power out for days on end. So of course as soon as we walked in the door we shook off the five hour drive and Bryan carried firewood while I rushed to the grocery store to stock up on things that could be cooked on a wood burning stove or eaten cold. As I was walking out of Marsh the freezing rain started. And then it ended about five minutes later.
But, don't get discouraged, throughout the next couple of days we got ice, sleet and snow. About seven to nine inches in total. I was, and still am, a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, with two little kids, I definitely didn't want to lose power, and the thought of ice accumulating on the big trees around our house was a nightmare I didn't even want to think about, but I like snow. I wanted lots and lots of snow. We got almost six inches, but I wanted the 12 we were promised.
Here is a picture of the house after the sleet and while the snow was still falling.
It was a thick heavy snow that was hard to shovel. So, Bryan and I took turns keeping the sidewalk and driveway clean so the ice underneath could melt. It is almost impossible to chip away all the ice off of the driveway at one time. I'm still working on that.
I promised a picture of Bryan's new car. Well, here it is. Nice, huh?
On Sunday Bryan and Lilly put some ice melt on our neighbor's driveway and then played in the snow before heading to a friend's house for the Super Bowl.
It was perfect snowman snow, but when Lilly saw her play set that she hasn't been on since October she forgot all about the snowman. Even Hank gets to go out off of his leash when the snow is deep. For some reason he stays right with us when we take him out in the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment