Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Contagion

My best friend, who I haven't seen since May of last year, was scheduled to be in town this past weekend. And, after weeks of planning, well OK, after about 20 minutes of actual planning, we were able to get a few friends together after the long absence. It goes without saying that I was super excited for this night. Not only would I get to spend the evening with my high school buddies, I had also managed to secure babysittage for the entire night...yes, that's right...the kids were spending the night at Grandma and Papaw's and Bryan and I had no curfew and unlimited time to celebrate our big night out.
Oh! We had such plans! First cocktails and dinner at Indianapolis's newest trendy restaurant. (I only found out during cocktails that Mesh on Mass has actually been open for over three years and everyone has been there before, except me.) But, enough about me being out of the loop... So, after catching up over dinner we decided to seek out some live music and hopefully visit some old haunts. This is where the evening started to go south for me. I perhaps the wine I'd had was making me a little queasy, but I proved to be a little more than queasy as I threw up my $25 steak in the bathroom at The Chatter Box. Very glamorous. I felt better, got a water and trudged on. But, that little episode hardly marked the end of my troubles. Long story short, Bryan and I made our apologies, said our good byes and headed home early.
The next morning my suspicion, and at this point my hope, that it was the wine that had made me feel so sick was proved to be wrong when my mom called to say that Jack needed to be picked up, he was throwing up. Lilly was, now, to spend the day with Grandma and Papaw and hopefully avoid whatever had come over Jack and I, but on their way to take her out to dinner they stopped to drop Hank off and Lilly got out of the car and, with perfect timing, chose that moment to reveal that she too had the stomach flu.

We had one rough night, followed by a very sleepy day, but everyone is feeling better now and Bryan has seemed to avoid the whole thing all together.

Hopefully, I didn't infect of my friends on Saturday night and maybe sometime before next spring we'll all be able to go out together again.

No comments:

Post a Comment