Tuesday, April 5, 2011

It Began with a Butterfly Birthday

In my family we don't really do the whole Birthday thing. We do more of a birth weekend. You get your actual birthday and the weekend that is closest to it. Sometimes, depending on scheduling conflicts, you can drag your birthday celebration out to two weekends. And that, is exactly what Lilly is doing for her third birthday. This year we decided to split the party up a little. We started this past weekend by having a couple of Lilly's friends over on Saturday, and their parents too...we aren't that crazy yet. I made cupcakes, Bryan grilled hot dogs and the kids played. We did a spring theme with butterfly and flower cupcakes. Jack and I made it into a picture. Thanks Russ!
Here are the party goers. Russ, my photographer, tried to take a nice picture of all four kids smiling and standing still...This is what we got. The phrase "herding cats" came to mind during the photo shoot. From left: Lilly, Morgan, Avery and Georgie Blowing out her candle.

Avery opted for a cupcake with a flower sucker and peanut butter bug on top.
While Morgan chose a butterfly.
I didn't get a picture of Georgie with his cupcake, but I'm certain that he got one. A family photo. Very rare. Again, thanks Russ for using my camera and taking some pictures. Tania took lots of pictures too, but realized too late that her memory card was at home in the computer. Lilly opening her gift. For this party Bryan and I wanted to give Lilly something that she could play with outside and that all of her friends could enjoy with her. So, we got her a croquette set for kids. We thought this was a great idea, but after Lilly opened it we realized that all we had done was armed four sugared up three year olds with mallets.


We had a lot of fun on Saturday. The playset got a lot of use and Avery was kind enough to bring her bounce house. We also painted flower pots and planted bulbs in them. (By 'planted bulbs' I mean that we intended to plant bulbs, but the pots took longer to dry that I anticipated so I sent everyone home with their bulb in a bag. Hopefully, they are in their pots by now). We moved the party inside after dinner and watched the Butler game while the kids played. It was a great way to kickoff Lilly's birthday celebrations and I'm pretty sure she had a good time. She slept until almost 9:30am the next day.

2 comments:

  1. I have been checking your blog every single day for this post! I can't believe that Jack is already that big and I have yet to meet him, but more so I can't believe that Lilly is 3 years old!! Looks and sounds like you guys had a blast, wish we could have been there to celebrate with you! Also, I love that you made it into 2 pictures!!! Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for the record, Jack is positioned closer to the camera than Lindsay. He in fact is not a 300 lb baby with a head the size of a state fair championship pumpkin.
    Just wanted to clear that up.

    Sincerely,
    Jack's Dad, with the completely proportional head as well.

    ReplyDelete