Monday, September 5, 2011

The Labyrinth

Early this morning Bryan tried to leave the house to golf with a friend. After going with him once last weekend, Lilly assumed that she would forever be Bryan's only golf partner. Needless to say, she was devastated when he left without her and she cried and cried. I promised that we would find something much more fun than golfing. After a little bit of thought and research we decided on Stuckey Farms and headed north for a corn maze and some apple picking.
We...well, I decided that we'd get the corn maze out of the way and then pick our apples. You know, that way we...well, I wouldn't have to carry a bag of apples through the maze. Wow, what wouldn't I have given for an apple after nearly an hour in the maze with no end in sight?
We rode the tractor shuttle through the apple orchard, past the pumpkin fields and over to the corn maze. The old man that dropped us off laughed and said, "If I don't see you by dark I'll come in after ya'." I thought he was kidding.
The corn maze was ten acres, professionally designed and carved out with GPS technology. The corn had been planted so that the double rows intersected diagonally and you couldn't see through them very far. We...again, I marched in arrogantly thinking that we would hit all nine checkpoints and be out in less than the hour they predict. I quickly realized that this maze was not what I expected. It was very difficult. Jack was getting fussy, Lilly was getting tired and asking to be carried and I had to pee. After about a half hour I was starting to get nervous and decided to just head back the way we had come. That wasn't as easy as I thought it would be either. I was starting to wonder if the old man that drove the tractor would actually come looking for us like he promised. I eventually cheated and cut through the corn to get to a place that I recognized and then we easily headed out.

Obviously, we made it out. And, before you judge me take a look at the map. Please note: This map was located at the entrance/exit and was the ONLY map I saw the entire time. There was a map on the back side of the paper that they gave us to make a rubbing at each of the check points, but you had to find the red clear plastic checkpoints to view the map. You needed a map to find those checkpoints. I took this picture of the map with one of my two cameras on the way OUT of the maze. Sure do wish I had thought of that on the way in.

Finally picking apples.

We were both very hungry and Lilly ate two apples all by herself after the whole corn maze situation.

Even though we got lost in the maze and skipped lunch Lilly admitted that she had more fun at Stuckey Farms than she did golfing with Dadddy. Yeah Mommy!

No comments:

Post a Comment